Tuesday, 31 March 2009

fashion+art: Sander Reijgers' Sex Doll Jackets


In the words of the artist/designer, Sander Reijgers:
"I customize existing tracksuit tops with parts of the blow-up dolls... these dolls are so ugly and vulgar that turning them into something beautiful has become a challenge for me. The doll is a means to convey something else... it's near-incomprehensible that people could have sex with something as ugly and lifeless as a blow-up doll. However much air you pump into it, it remains an object that can't reciprocate the feelings of lust..."

"The idea of doing something with blow-up dolls came to me after reading 'The Malady of Death' by Marguerite Duras. The main character of this novel is incapable of feelings for people, so he hires a woman hoping that sex with this woman will allow him to feel. I do the exact opposite with my work: I remove the sexual function of the dolls by turning them into a jacket or a bag. In this way, the doll can 'feel' by performing a normal day-to-day task, rather than through sex..."

"In daily life, we are bombarded through the media and advertising with images of especially female nudity to stimulate consumerism. I comment on this situation through my art, but with humour and without being too moralistic about it..."



There's something wonderfully subversive/awful about these jackets by Dutch artist/designer Sander Reijgers... we'd probably draw the line at actually wearing one, but it's a cool idea and we love how the sex doll parts give otherwise fairly mundane sportswear jackets an unexpected, subverted twist. What do you think? Cool concept, or simply too crude/shocking?

See more on his website.

4 comments:

  1. kind of hilarious .. . kind of gross?

    ReplyDelete
  2. youre the best blogger in the world.

    -evan e0d9n0b5 from that site ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the turtle neck jacket,I want to buy this for my dady.

    ReplyDelete